Thursday, May 7, 2015

Adventure Day 3

After my stop in Nashville, I was going to head directly to my destination (Myrtle Beach). However, as I was driving down the highway, I saw a sign that indicated the way to Alabama, so I decided to stop by and check out a few attractions.

In Birmingham, I visited the
Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, which is a large interpretive museum that depicts the struggles of the American Civil rights movement. There were two displays that really caught my attention: the school segregation display and the            
Rosa Parks display. These displays looked so real. They made me feel like I was actually there at that time. You could also tell that there were strong messages from the past coming from those displays.
While at the museum, I actually bumped into someone very special: Martin Luther King Jr.'s youngest daughter,
Bernice King. We talked a little bit, and I told her about my situation (i.e. my journey). She then insisted that we go out for lunch. As we ate (at Applebee's), Bernice told me about what she remembered about her father (she was only five years old when her father was killed), about the civil rights movement, and what she is currently doing today (she is a minister). Before leaving, Bernice encouraged me to visit her father's home in Montgomery, Alabama, so I headed 95 miles south to Montgomery. In Montgomery, I saw Martin Luther King Jr.'s house. It was interesting how right when you walk in, you could feel the tension that MLK was under during the civil rights movement. I'm glad that they have opened it for the public, that way everyone can enjoy this piece of history.
After that, I drove 160 miles northeast to Atlanta. Georgia. In Atlanta, I decided to visit the Georgia Aquarium. It was breathtaking! The sharks were the most impressive, as well as all the little fish around them. Seeing all that water made me eager to make it to my destination. After that nice visit in the aquarium, I headed to my FINAL destination: Myrtle Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment